1. Actually, unconscious motif for bullying Oscar might be caused by his epicene appearance. The twelve-year old boy not only seems to look like a girl but he also behaves the same way. In addition, Oscar seems to like to be victimized as he does not resist bullying until Eli instigates him.
2. On the one hand, Rubik’s cube is a sort of ice-breaker for two teenagers. Oscar’s trying to solve the puzzle, which is totally new for Eli, who definitely loves puzzles and wants to endear the boy. On the other and, Rubik’s cube might be examined as an allegory of Eli herself as she is a sort of unknown mystery needed to be solved for Oscar.
3. The connection between Hakan and Oscar might be expressed by three aspects. First of all, there is an object, the red stick, which serves to symbolic and physical tying the two, as this is the means of murder. Secondly, they are both affected to Eli. Thirdly, Eli seems to use Oscar the same way he used Hakan, i.e. for hunting victims.
4. As far as pedophilia is concerned, there are few aspects touched in the movie. First of all, the audience knows that Hakan kills only young men and seems to be a pedophile. Then, as far as Eli is immortal, she is mentally and psychologically older than her caretaker and, of course, Oscar. What is more, it becomes evident that Eli is not a girl because of being castrated; this fact supports Eli’s pedophilic intentions towards Oscar.
5. In fact, Let the Right One In reveals far more meaningful layers that it might appear at first sight. It might seem that the movie represents another love story but, actually, it displays the case of parasitism, both in its psychological and physical aspects. Another point to draw the audience’s attention is to reveal hidden class conflict as Eli is rich but pretends to be poor in order to satisfy her needs. There is an evident parallel between vampires’ sponging on humans and Capitalists exploiting working-class.
6. Eli is not a human and she is not actually a female. She uses her appearance and age to attract Oscar and suppress his will in order to manipulate him. The audience is shown some points proving that Eli is far more like a predator rather than a human-like being. Hence, she is going to satisfy her needs using Oscar the same way she exploited Hakan, and there is no guarantee she is not going to kill Oscar some …
Posted by: Johnie Ervin